Choosing the proper signage for your commercial building is a matter of aesthetics but also of functionality, branding, and compliance. A well-designed and strategically placed sign can help you attract customers, communicate your value proposition, and comply with local regulations. In this blog post, we will discuss the different types of signage available for commercial buildings, the factors to consider when selecting them, and some case studies of successful signage implementations across various industries.
Types of signage
There are many types of signage that you can use for your commercial building, depending on your purpose, location, and budget. Some of the most common ones are:
- Vinyl banners: These are large, flexible, and durable signs that can be printed with any design and message. They are ideal for temporary or seasonal promotions, events, or announcements. You can hang them on your building facade, fence, or pole.
- Yard signs: These are small, rigid signs that can be inserted into the ground or mounted on a stake. They are perfect for directional or informational purposes, such as indicating parking areas, entrances, exits, or open houses. You can also use them to advertise your services or products to pedestrians and drivers.
- Car lettering: These are adhesive vinyl decals that can be applied to your vehicle’s body or windows. They are a great way to turn your car into a mobile billboard that showcases your brand name, logo, contact information, or slogan. You can use them to increase your visibility and reach wherever you go.
- Feather flags: These are tall, narrow, and lightweight flags that can be attached to a pole and planted into the ground or a base. They are designed to flutter in the wind and catch attention from afar. You can use them to display your logo, colors, or special offers outside your building or along the road.
These are just some examples of the many types of signage you can choose from. You can also mix and match different types of signs to create a cohesive and effective signage system for your commercial building.
Factors to consider
When choosing the right signage for your commercial building, there are several factors that you need to consider, such as:
- Budget: The cost of signage depends on various factors, such as the size, material, design, installation, and maintenance. You need to determine how much you are willing to spend on your signage and how often you need to update it. You also need to factor in the potential return on investment that your signage can generate in terms of increased traffic, sales, and brand awareness.
- Design: The design of your signage should reflect your brand identity, message, and target audience. You need to choose the right colors, fonts, images, and layout that suit your style and purpose. You also need to ensure that your signage is legible, clear, and attractive from different distances and angles.
- Durability: The durability of your signage depends on the quality of the material and the environmental conditions. You need to choose a material that can withstand weather elements, such as sun exposure, rain, wind, snow, etc. You also need to consider how long you want your signage to last and how often you need to replace it.
- Visibility: The visibility of your signage depends on the location, size, shape, and illumination of your sign. You need to choose a location that is easily accessible and visible from different directions and vantage points. You also need to choose a size and shape that fits your space and stands out from the surroundings. You may also want to consider adding lighting or reflective elements to enhance your visibility at night or in low-light conditions.
- Installation: The installation of your signage depends on the type of sign and the surface where you want to place it. You need to consider the technical requirements and challenges involved in installing your sign safely and securely. You may also need to obtain permits or approvals from the local authorities before installing your sign.
- Maintenance: The maintenance of your signage depends on the type of sign and the level of wear and tear it experiences. You need to consider how easy or difficult it is to clean, repair, or replace your sign when needed. You also need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations for proper care and maintenance.
Considering these factors carefully, you can select the best signage for your commercial building that meets your needs and goals.
To illustrate how signage can make a difference for commercial buildings across various industries, here are some case studies of successful signage projects:
- Mixed use and residential: The Station House is a mixed-use development in Washington DC that features apartments, retail spaces, offices, and a hotel. The signage includes a large illuminated sign on the rooftop, a blade sign on the corner, and a series of vinyl banners along the street. The signage helps to create a distinctive identity and a sense of place for the development, as well as to attract and inform potential tenants and visitors.
- Government and civic: The City of Tampa is the third-largest city in Florida and the county seat of Hillsborough County. The signage includes directional signs, identification signs, informational signs, and gateway signs. The signage helps to enhance the city’s image and identity, as well as to guide and assist residents and tourists.
- Corporate and brand: Coghlin Companies, a family-owned engineering and contract manufacturing company based in Massachusetts. The signage for this project includes a large channel letter sign on the building facade, a box cabinet sign on the entrance canopy, and a monument sign on the lawn. The signage helps to showcase the company’s name, logo, and tagline, as well as to create a professional and modern impression.
- Healthcare: Kaiser Permanente is one of the largest healthcare providers in the US, with over 12 million members and 700 medical facilities. The signage includes vinyl banners, yard signs, car lettering, feather flags, window graphics, wall decals, floor decals, and more. The signage helps to promote the healthcare services and programs offered by Kaiser Permanente, as well as to communicate their mission and values.
- Education: The University of South Florida is a public research university with over 50,000 students and 14 colleges. The signage includes vinyl banners, yard signs, car lettering, feather flags, window graphics, wall decals, floor decals, and more. The signage helps to celebrate the university’s achievements and events, as well as to inspire and motivate students and staff.
- Hospitality: Hilton is one of the world’s largest and most recognized hotel brands, with over 6,000 properties in 117 countries. The signage includes vinyl banners, yard signs, car lettering, feather flags, window graphics, wall decals, floor decals, and more. The signage helps to welcome guests and visitors, as well as to advertise the hotel’s amenities and special offers.
As you can see from these case studies, choosing the right signage for your commercial building can have a significant impact on your business success. Signage can help you attract customers, communicate your brand, and comply with regulations. However, choosing the right signage requires careful planning and consideration of various factors.
If you need help with choosing the right signage for your commercial building or any other signage needs you may have contact us today for more information or a quote for our signage services.